Grams Image

Grams Image

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Storage room revisited

Well, it is 90% done now so I have been in Hog Heaven. The only thing left to do is to build a small shelf under the window to put my Country Living Grain Mill on and then all I will have left is to pack some more buckets of rice, popcorn, flour, wheat and beans that I never got around to packing.
My food storage room is dedicated at the moment to commercially canned foods and #10 cans of dehydrated foods. I have dedicated my kitchen food pantry to home canned/jarred foods of meats, vegetables and Excalibur dried foods. I have started using my home jarred meats because there are some left that were canned at the end of '09. I don't want to lose any of it to spoilage. Now I have to make sure I can enough meats to replace those jars that I am using.
I want to thank my handy son for doing 90% of the work for me in my food storage room. He did a beautiful job and I am very proud of it! I still have to do the inventory but I think I will put it off until the weather is colder and I have someone to do the pencil pushing for me while I climb and count. I found out I have way too many green beans so I will have to find some new recipes to incorporate green beans in other than stews, soups, and as a simple side dish. We aren't crazy about the bean casserole for Thanksgiving since so many of my family can't eat milk products.
Well folks, how is your food storage coming along? I hope everyone is consistently buying their food for storage and rotation. Have a great Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment